The Major League Baseball (MLB) Draft is one of the most exciting times of the year for baseball fans, as it gives teams the opportunity to select top prospects from around the world. In this article, we’ll be taking a look at the 2023 MLB Mock Draft, predicting which players are most likely to be selected in the first round.
The MLB Draft is a crucial event for teams looking to build a strong foundation for the future. With the right picks, a team can turn their fortunes around and start winning championships. The 2023 MLB Draft promises to be no different, with a crop of talented prospects expected to be available.
The Top Prospects
- Jack Leiter (RHP, Vanderbilt): Leiter is widely considered the top prospect in the 2023 MLB Draft, thanks to his dominant performance at Vanderbilt. He has a devastating fastball that tops out at 98 mph, along with a slider and a changeup that keep hitters off-balance. Leiter has the potential to be a future ace for any team that selects him.
- Elijah Green (OF, IMG Academy): Green is an athletic outfielder with a smooth swing and excellent power. He has been compared to former MLB star Andrew McCutchen, thanks to his all-around skills and ability to make an impact on both offense and defense. Green has the potential to be a franchise-changing player for whichever team selects him.
- Marcelo Mayer (SS, Eastlake High School): Mayer is a polished shortstop with excellent defensive skills and a strong arm. He also has an advanced approach at the plate and a solid hit tool, making him a well-rounded player with a high ceiling. Mayer could be a cornerstone player for any team that selects him.
- Jordan Lawlar (SS, Jesuit Prep): Lawlar is another talented shortstop with excellent defensive skills and a solid bat. He has a smooth swing and excellent plate discipline, making him a consistent threat at the plate. Lawlar is also a smart baserunner with good speed, making him a valuable asset on the basepaths.
- Tyree Reed (OF, American Heritage High School): Reed is a toolsy outfielder with excellent speed and power. He has a smooth swing and can hit for both average and power, making him a threat at the plate. Reed also has a strong arm and good defensive instincts, making him a well-rounded player with a high ceiling.
- Braden Montgomery (RHP/OF, Madison Central High School): Montgomery is a two-way player with excellent tools on both the mound and in the outfield. He has a fastball that sits in the mid-90s and can touch 98 mph, along with a sharp breaking ball and a developing changeup. Montgomery also has excellent power and speed, making him a valuable asset on offense.
- Jared Jones (RHP, La Mirada High School): Jones is a hard-throwing right-hander with a fastball that touches 100 mph. He also has a sharp slider and a changeup that keep hitters off-balance. Jones has excellent command and could be a future closer or a back-end starter.
- Dylan Linares (3B, Belen Jesuit Prep): Linares is a powerful third baseman with excellent bat speed and plate discipline. He has a smooth swing and can hit for both average and power, making him a valuable asset on offense. Linares also has good defensive skills and a strong arm, making him a potential future Gold Glove winner.
The 2023 MLB Mock Draft promises to be an exciting event, with a crop of talented prospects available for selection. While the top picks are expected to be dominated by pitchers and infielders, there are also several talented outfielders and sleeper picks to watch out for. Ultimately, it will be up to each team to make the best selections possible and build a strong foundation for the future.
- When will the 2023 MLB Draft take place?
- The exact date for the 2023 MLB Draft has not yet been announced. However, it is expected to take place in early June.
- How many rounds are in the MLB Draft?
- The MLB Draft typically consists of 40 rounds, although there have been discussions of reducing the number of rounds in future drafts.
- How are draft picks determined?
- The order of the draft is determined by the reverse order of the previous year’s standings. The team with the worst record from the previous season has the first pick in each round, while the team with the best record has the last pick.
- What happens to players who are not drafted?
- Players who are not drafted can either return to college or enter the professional ranks as undrafted free agents.
- Who is the most successful player ever drafted in the MLB Draft?
- While there have been many successful players drafted over the years, some of the most notable include Mike Trout, Clayton Kershaw, and Albert Pujols.